Play anything I've written about!

Friday, September 19, 2008

there ain't no good guy/there ain't no bad guy

Dave Mason is playing Hardscrabble Day 2008 in Red Hook, NY tomorrow and I am psyched. As far as I can tell, there is a grand total of 1 Dave Mason song that owns real estate in my brain. But it's been homesteading for decades now, and you kids better get off the lawn.

See, when I was a kid I got completely sucked into the whole K-Tel Records thing. I didn't have unlimited fiscal resources, though, so I only have a few gems from the collection. And one of those gems has Dave Mason's song "We Just Disagree". I love that song. Without reservation. That song is such a part of my DNA that I can summon no critical judgement whatsoever. I just love it. (Ditto "Thank You For Being a Friend" by Andrew Gold, which discovered fame and fortune as the Golden Girls theme song and precedes Dave Mason on The Hot Ones 1978.)

So cheers, to you, Mr. Mason. Thanks for writing and recording a song that has remain lodged in my brainpan lo these many (geez, 30? Can that be right?) years. I'll be there, singing along, waving my iPhone loaded with the Freebird app. Wooo-ooo-ooo-ooh. Whoaa-oh-o-o-o.

No comments: