Play anything I've written about!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ascending Band

I love familiar sounds put together in surprising new ways. Or familiar sounds put together with unfamiliar sounds. So I have to recommend that you check out Silent City by Kayhan Kalhor and Brooklyn Rider. Brooklyn Rider are four string players so talented that Yo Yo Ma proudly calls them colleagues, and they bring an undeniable groove to everything they play. Kayhan Kalhor is one of the most noted kamancheh players on the planet. The whole album is killin', but Ascending Bird has been known to make me dance in inappropriate places and Beloved... just flat out rocks. (Yes, I'm still talking about a string quartet).

Check out John Schaefer's review at www.brooklynrider.com (click on the Press link). He makes a Led Zeppelin comparison that is right on the money. And then go get the album. And if you have a chance, do go see the tour. And don't be afraid to dance.

No comments: