Play anything I've written about!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Perhaps I should buy a cape. (Edna Mode would differ.)


I think I find groove in places that other people don't. Maybe it's my superpower. I know it makes me a bit of a freak. When I used to DJ at the World's Largest Music Store, I would play things that sounded super-groovy to me, and I would dance around the booth, and lots of the staff would look at me like I had grown a spare arm. While that could easily have been because of my dancing, I'm pretty sure it was also because I was finding funk where they didn't.

I had this realization today listening to two different things that struck me as chock fulla groove: a choral work by Haydn called "Te Deum" and Alphabetical by Phoenix. Both feature loads of head-nodding off-beats. But I suspect that the average bear finds both of those musical experiences a bit ... well, square. I'm fine with my superpower, but I wish I could share it with the world. Can't we all just groove along?

Tell me what you think: Phoenix - funky or L7? Is there a group or an album that you think brings the funk but leaves your friends cold?

2 comments:

-Hero for Hire- said...

Ya know what, Phoenix is hella funky. I didn't spend enough time with the Alphabetical album but 'If I Ever Feel Better' off the first album had an awesome groove. There's an english band I feel similarly about called Reef - they had a single 'Place Your Hands' that I've been shaking my ass to for 10 years now. I have yet to meet anyone else that likes(d)them.

Jayme said...

Phoenix is, by far, one of my favorite bands of all time because these French boys can make some serious music. I dance around to them all the time, especially while I'm driving (and I get plenty of weird looks, too). When they played at this tiny club here in Scottsdale, I think there were about twelve people that went on purpose. By the end of the night, however, it was packed and everyone was dancing and clapping and I wasn't making a total fool of myself! Then again, I think Wang Chung is laying down some sweet tracks. So please, disregard me.