Play anything I've written about!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Para ser o no ser

Listening to Julieta Venegas today, mostly because I'm taking a Spanish class. But it could just as easily be said that I'm taking a Spanish class because I love Julieta Venegas (and Jorge Drexler, and Liquits, and Juanes, and Juana Molina, and the Spanish Harlem Orchestra, and Zurdok, and just about any band that plays salsa). I think a lot of people resist listening to music in languages they don't know because it makes them uncomfortable to not know what the singer is saying. But I don't put much weight in lyrics - I never have. So it never occurred to me that listening to music in Spanish was much different than listening to anything else.

Do you listen to music in languages you don't know? Why or why not?

1 comment:

-Hero for Hire- said...

I have never had a problem with foreign music as long as I could interpret the emotion in the vocals. For that reason even though I don't speak a lick of it I love french music. For years I have been listening to Noir Desir & Louise Attaque (& their sister band Tarmac). After becoming acquainted with Serge Gainsbourg's music a few years I recently started delving deep into the french pop scene of the 60s & 70s. Lately I have been totally in love with France Gall's catalogue as well as some of the cheesier hits of those decades like Joe Dassin's hit "Champs Elysses".