Play anything I've written about!

Friday, September 26, 2008

Does emotional music have quite an effect on you?

I'm baking to Faith No More. And that strikes me as a little odd. But perhaps not. Perhaps there are Betty CRockers all over the place and I just haven't met them.

I wasn't planning to whip up zucchini bread to the lilting tones of Mr. Patton and friends. Earlier in the day I had been quite enjoying Fairground Attraction (the live in Japan import, for you fans playing at home). But an unfortunate series of events, mostly involving bad customer service, put me in a darker mood. And when I clicked into the Artist list on my Pod, Faith No More was right there. And boy did Angel Dust fit the bill. I thought the album was a bit too commercial when it came out. I can see now that I was high. It's plenty angry, plenty heavy, and loaded with lyrics that would startle the neighbors if they could hear me wailing along. It's the kind of stuff that focuses my frustration with the world and then transforms it into happiness.

2 comments:

-Hero for Hire- said...

I'm inspired!...now i'm getting baked TO Faith No More. I was very pleased to turn my 15 yearold punk rocker brother on to this album just a month ago. I don't love it but I am impressed by it. It's staggeringly original. I still don't quite understand it, which is why I go back to it regularly.

Anonymous said...

At first glance this seemed like an unlikely, and possibly obscene association (Faith no More and cooking). Yet, after reading Ms. Jakolat's thoughts, I can't help but reminisce upon the days when my mom would present her latest "recipe" to us (which seemed to go through the de-flavor machine prior to the dinner table) and collectively we'd be thinking:
"What is This??"

Music is powerful. As is heartburn.