Play anything I've written about!

Friday, September 12, 2008

Makin' Friends

So I live in a small town now, and it's pretty different from Manhattan. One lovely way it's different is that everyone's fairly comfortable striking up conversations with strangers. I've noticed this before, but the other day was more fun. Why? Because I was wearing my Master of Puppets t-shirt. (It's the best album Metallica has ever made. Feel free to argue in the comments. But I'm unlikely to change my mind.) Anyway, I'm out and about, wearing my Metallica shirt, and it sparked a lovely conversation with a bookstore employee (he: "Are you excited about the new album?" me: "Are you kidding?? Did you see the Times article? They say it's a return to 'Master'! I can't wait!!") and a hardware store cashier (she: " I love that album, but they got lame. 'Load' and 'Reload' were ...[makes icky face]" me: "I know. You can really stop listening to anything after 'Justice'. But did you hear that the new album is supposed to be a return to form? You should check it out!)

Good metal makes me smile. And do surprising and fun conversations with strangers/neighbors. What's your best story about making a friend over shared love of music? (Some day I'll tell you about my wonderful friend G. We bonded in 1984 while waiting for the gates to open at the Squeeze reunion show. Ahh, the good old days.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

where have you been the past few years????? this is exactly what i've been looking for since digital music has overloaded me with choice -- love the blog! love you!! love music!!

Unknown said...

ps. love the design and the format - nicely done