Play anything I've written about!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Will you bite the egg sandwich that feeds you?

I love hearing good music in unexpected places. Today it was Nine Inch Nails at the deli on my way to class. The guys behind the counter were discussing what music was acceptable to play in the shop, which is pretty funny because I'm fairly certain that the majority of the population can live without a side of industrial anger with their eggs. That said, it wasn't very loud, and most folks probably wouldn't have noticed if they didn't already know the music.

To the counter guys: Apologies for joining the conversation. It's not nice for old people like me to publicly enjoy the music of young people. Takes the fun out of it.

2 comments:

Gordon Kelley said...

Tried and tried and tried. I've yet to make it through an entire NIN album. I've yet to hear anything by NIN that I wanted to hear again. I like angry, noisy, intense music just fine, but I really don't "get" NIN and a lot of other "industrial" music. I know they're renowned, legendary, talented, etc, but something's not clicking with me and NIN. Every time I think I'm in the mood to hear them I end up turning it off and putting on noisy punk rock instead. - Gordon

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what type of deli that was, butgot to give them props on trying something edgy.
March of the Pigs isn't suitable if it was a kosher establishment, however. On the subject, of Mr. Reznor, I too have not been able to get through an entire NIN album.
I can't say this is due stricly to the lack of quality of the album as I am sure Finnegan's Wake is worth reading yet I have not met one person--in or outside of academia--whose read it. Sure, they'll bring up Portrait or Dubliners or that other big book, but even those who own it never seem to read it. Back in the day it was very edgy and anti-whatever sucked according to the hip to listen to NIN. Pretty Hate Machine is my fav album because it's the one I've listened to most. That doesn't mean it's the best Reznor's made. I'll say this much, Reznor is more marketing then visionary, an amalgam of a sexually frustrated man and a talented musician who is angry he never got the studio time he felt he deserved. So, like other succesful musicians, he made his own rules.