Play anything I've written about!

Monday, October 6, 2008

If I could save time in a bottle (I still wouldn't be Jim Croce)

The thing I love about time (forgive me, musicians, but not the time you count) is that it passes. Given enough time, the most trite songs once again become meaningful. Or, at least, they can feel that way.

I hate commercial radio. But when I'm scanning through the radio, mourning a dead iPod battery, and I run across "Working Man" by Rush, that makes me smile. I was but a toddler when that song was released. "Working Man" is followed by "Bennie and the Jets", a song slightly older than the Rush tune and those only slightly older than yours truly. Also a feel-good tune. By most reckoning, you can't lump Rush and Elton John together in any meaningful way. But there they are, sharing the Classic Rock radio waves.

And that's cool. Maybe we can all get along. Sometimes.

No comments: