Play anything I've written about!

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sigh.

Listening to radio means nearly never hearing a song you don't already know. This is sad, it seems to me. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing tunes I know on the radio. What I don't love is only hearing tunes I know. I have this experience every time I travel somewhere in the US: I get somewhere new and tune in the radio. I hear things you haven't heard in a while. I think "Woohoo! Back catalog! And new things!" And then I realize, the next day, that it's the same stuff they always play. I just haven't heard it in a while because I haven't been in that region in a while.

There's no need for this to be the case. In my hard drive, I have enough music that we could all sit and listen for 515.8 days without hearing a duplicate. (Minus a few built-in duplicates.) (But note that we could listen for well over a YEAR and not hear the same song twice.) And that's just in MY library. Contemplate, for a moment, what that could mean for your day-to-day radio listening. Radio could be fun again!

No comments: